Safe Shores: A Pathway to Hope and Healing Since 1995
In January 1995, the future became brighter for children and families affected by abuse in DC. Believing that DC could do much better in responding to and protecting children, three very smart and determined women – Patricia A. Riley, Esq., Lavdena Orr, M.D. and the Hon. Administrative Judge Arlene Robinson (deceased) – found their paths crossing far too often at child death reviews, They moved from frustration to action. As a result of their leadership, the children’s advocacy center (CAC) model was adopted in the Nation’s Capital.
In 1995, Safe Shores was officially established as an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to serving child victims of sexual abuse and their families. In 2002, the DC Council formally recognized the CAC and mandated a multi-agency response for cases involving child victims of sexual and physical abuse.
Safe Shores provides survivor-centered intervention, hope, and healing for children and families affected by abuse, trauma, and violence in the District of Columbia, and works to prevent and end child abuse and neglect through promising practices, policies, and partnerships.
As the only children’s advocacy center in DC, Safe Shores serves as the hub of a multidisciplinary team united in a mission to provide comprehensive, coordinated, compassionate services to children and families.
Associate Director of Communications and Marketing
November 2011 – Present
- Michele Booth Cole, Safe Shores’ Executive Director, discusses critical steps to keep kids safe (extended interview), August 23, 2022
- “Teen Advocates for DC Sex Assault Survivors,” WUSA9, Delia Goncalves, July 14, 2022
- “Avoiding Child Abuse and Neglect During the Coronavirus Shutdown,” WHUR FY 96.3 Radio, April 16, 2020
- “Child abuse is likely going underreported during the coronavirus pandemic. Here’s what you can do to help,” WUSA9, March 30, 2020
- “How to reduce a child’s risk for sexual abuse — and why it’s especially important in summer,” WTOP, June 27, 2019.
- “MOST DC THING: 12-year-old donates $10,000 worth of clothing to local charity,” WUSA9, April 7, 2019.
- “Naomi Wadler and Safe Shores Team Up To Donate Clothes to Abused Kids.” AFRO, April 12, 2019
- “Advocacy centers help abuse victims tell their story, regain trust, heal,” Crux, Feb. 7, 2019, Safe Shores profiled with quotes by Safe Shores’ Lisa Dominguez, Ashly Harrell, and Leyla Sandler
- “DC Organizations Optimistic About Passing School Safety Act,” Washington Afro, Dec. 27, 2018. Michele Booth Cole featured
- “Protecting Your Child from Sex Abuse,” The Daily Drum, WHUR 96.3FM & SiriusXM 141 HUR Voices, Aug. 30, 2018, Michele Booth Cole featured
- “Summertime And The Childcare Is…Pricey,” Kojo Nnamdi Show, WAMU 88.5, July 18, 2018, Michele Booth Cole a guest
- New Millennium,” live Spanish-language radio show, WACA AM, Sept. 25, 2018, Bilingual Prevention Specialists/Advocates Alejandra Monroy and Benny Del Castillo, MSW, discussed child abuse prevention
- The Daily Drum, WHUR 96.3FM & SiriusXM 141 HUR Voices, July 13m 2018, Michele Booth Cole a guest
- “Protecting Your Children from Sexual Predators,” The Daily Drum, WHUR 96.3FM & SiriusXM 141 HUR Voices, July 6, 2018, Michel Booth Cole a guest
- “Stopping Sexual Abuse Before It Starts: What Local Schools Are Doing To Keep Kids Safe,” Kojo Nnamdi Show, Apr. 17, 2018, Michele Booth Cole guest
- “Insight on Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month,” The Daily Drum, WHUR 96.3FM & SiriusXM 141 HUR Voices, Apr. 24, 2018, Michele Booth Cole and Safe Shores friend Dr. Satira Streeter guests
- “The Spaces That Can Ease Childhood Trauma,” CityLab, March 29, 2018, Safe Shores featured
- “Nonprofit Spotlight,” Michele interviewed on Dec. 6, 2017
- FOX5 News anchor Shawn Yancy taped interview with Michele on Safe Shores’ work and mission in lead-up to Girls Night Out, segment aired Aug. 9
- ABC7/News Channel 8 aired interview on Pack 2 School WUSA9 reporter @deliangoncalves Tweeted photos, Aug. 8
- Safe Shores’ Executive Director, Michele Booth Cole, and child sexual abuse survivor Pages Matam talk prevention on WHUR, July 6. 2017
- In its response to sex abuse allegation, Sidwell Friends joins other private schools in pursuing transparency, The Washington Post, May 9, 2017. Michele comments on need to prevent child abuse.
- A Virginia school board’s unconscionable stance on child abuse, The Washington Post, Feb. 3 and Feb. 5, 2017, opinion piece by Michele Booth Cole
- Community News, Praise 104.1 FM. Michele Booth Cole and Safe Shores supporter, Mo Betta, talk with Denise Hill about #SantaCause, Dec. 3 and 4, 2016
- New Safe Shores board members Lynn English, Rae Robinson Trotman and Henry Cashen announced in Washington Business Journal, Nov. 17, 2017
- What’s next after the election? Washington’s top business leaders share their thoughts. Michele Booth Cole comments, Washington Business Journal, November 9, 2016.
- Fox5 Morning News re sexual abuse allegation against PGCPS bus aide, Sept. 29, 2016
- Women Who Mean Business, Washington Business Journal, Sept. 12, 2016
- What You Can Do to Help in Child Abuse by Michele Booth Cole posted on Medium.com, Apr. 12, 2016
- Safe Shores Therapist Laura Davie interviewed by WUSA*9 on how therapy helps child victims tell their story in court, Feb. 25, 2016
- Prince George’s schools launch task force to review policies after child porn case in Glenarden. Michele Booth Cole listed as member of the PG County Public Schools Safety Task force in this Washington Post article, Feb. 22, 2016
- Michele Booth Cole gave live, in-studio interview to Fox5 morning show on child abuse prevention vis-à-vis the Deonte Carraway case, Feb. 11, 2016
- WUSA*9 interviewed Michele Booth Cole re Deonte Carraway case, Feb. 10, 2016
- Protecting our children from child sexual predators. Michele interviewed on WHUR’s Daily Drum, Feb. 8, 2016
- People give for the holidays until it hurts — but then comes January. Michele Booth Cole quoted in this commentary by Washington Post columnist Lonnae O’Neal, Jan. 14, 2016
- NBC4 Washington and WJLA filmed visit to Safe Shores by cross-country cyclist/survivor David Higgins, Aug. 12, 2015
- The Learning Channel interviewed Michele re the Josh Duggar child sexual abuse case, aired Aug. 4, 2015
- W*USA 9 Pack-to-School post, Jul. 30, 2015
- Michele Booth Cole guest on CNN’s Brooke Baldwin show re Duggar case, Jun. 4, 2015.
- Review Of Relisha Rudd’s Disappearance Raises Questions On Training, Reporting, Michele Booth Cole quoted, WAMU-FM, Sept. 9. 2014
- NBC4 Washington Changing Minds series features Safe Shores, Aug. 15, 2014.
- Michele Booth Cole guest on Ending child abuse with the National Children’s Alliance and Safe Shores, the focus of WJLA/News Channel 8’s midday news show, Jun. 3, 2014.
- WUSA9’s Stopping the Hands that Hurt (Part 1) and Part 2 series on Safe Shores airs May 6 and 7, 2014. Wins Emmy for reporter Lesli Foster, June 2015.
- An 11-year-old reported being raped twice, wound up with a conviction, Safe Shores Clinical Director Cindy Bridgman quoted in this news story, The Washington Post Magazine, May 12, 2015
- Michele Booth Cole guest on WHUR Voices’ Sighlent Storm, Apr. 5, 2014.
- The Relisha Rudd Case Isn’t New. What Are The Issues? What Can We Do About Them?. Michele Booth Cole and board member Tyish Hall Brown guests on this segment of WHUR’s The Daily Drum, Apr. 1, 2014
- Washington Post Editorial Board Meeting, Michele Booth Cole, Rose Gordy and Donna Lewis Johnson, March 2014
- Confronting Child Abuse, Cherishing Childhood, the first in WHUT’s series Vocal Point. The one-hour special featured Michele Booth Cole, Howard Univ. professor and Safe Shores board member Tyish Hall Brown, PhD, survivor Al Chesley (retired NFL player), and National District Attorney’s Association Fellow Roger A. Canaff, April 2013
- Tourist in Nicaragua recognized ex-Beauvoir teacher on FBI list, The Washington Post, Michele Booth Cole quoted in this article, Apr. 23, 2013.
- Sandusky Case: Safer Environments Still Needed for Our Children, The Washington Informer, opinion by Michele Booth Cole, Oct. 9, 2012
- “On Parenting” blog, Metro Section, The Washington Post, Jul.12, 2012
- WTOP-FM, Jul. 12, 2012
- Sighlent Storm, HUR SiriusXM Radio, Jun. 30, 2012
- On Parenting, The Washington Post , Jun. 21, 2012
- Voice of America, Jun. 20, 2012
- In Session, truTV, Jun. 15, 2012
- Sandusky, Horace Mann, Manassas & sexual abuse: Has the culture changed enough?, The Washington Post, Michele Booth Cole quoted in this article, Jun. 12, 2012
- NBC4 Washington, Jun. 5, 2012
- Metro, The Washington Post, May 16, 2012
- Confronting Child Sexual Abuse, The Washington Informer, opinion by Michele Booth Cole, May 11, 2012
- A birthday party nightmare: Balancing safety and freedom, The Washington Post, On Parenting, Michele Booth Cole quoted, May 7, 2012
- A sleepover nightmare: How can we keep our children safe?, The Washington Post, Close to Home opinion section, op-ed by Michele Booth Cole, May 4, 2012
- C. Child Advocacy Group Offers Abuse Prevention Tips, Michele Booth Cole interviewed, WAMU-FM, May 3, 2012
- Ending Child Abuse & Neglect in DC, Kojo Nnamdi Show, WAMU-FM, Apr. 30, 2012
- WAMU-FM, Apr. 30, 2012
- Takin’ It To the Streets, The Steve Harvey Morning Show, Michele Booth Cole interviewed, WHUR-FM, Mar. 29, 2012
- Visionary Leader Extraordinary Life, VoiceAmerica Business Internet Radio, Jan. 9, 2012
- “DC teen forgoes holiday presents, asks family to donate gifts to abused children,” Fox 5 news, Michele Booth Cole interviewed for this story about a young Safe Shores donor, Dec. 18, 2012
- Adults, You Can Prevent Child Sexual Abuse, The Washington Informer, opinion by Michele Booth Cole, Dec. 15, 2011
- Commentary: Protecting Children Is An Adult’s Job, WAMU-FM, commentary by Michele Booth Cole, Dec. 12, 2011
- Nooga.com, Dec. 6, 2011
- Child sexual abuse: Four steps America must take, The Washington Post, Close to Home opinion section, op-ed by Michele Booth Cole, Nov. 28. 2011