Safe Shores—The DC Children’s Advocacy Center is a direct service nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting and working directly with child victims of sexual and physical abuse in the District of Columbia.
Through its child-friendly facility and multidisciplinary team approach, Safe Shores coordinates the work of medical and mental health providers, social services professionals, victim advocates, law enforcement, and prosecution officials to reduce trauma and promote healing for child victims of abuse.
Safe Shores provides intervention, hope and healing for children and families affected by abuse, trauma and violence in the District of Columbia, and prevents child abuse through education and training.
- To minimize the trauma experienced by children and adolescents who have been identified as victims of sexual or physical abuse
- To improve the investigation and prosecution of sexual and physical abuse cases from the point of intervention through to treatment and healing
- To promote inter-agency collaboration for effective decision making and management of sexual and physical abuse cases
- To prevent further and/or future abuse of child victims
- To provide training professionals in the field of investigation, prosecution and provision of services for sexually and physically abused children, adolescents, and their non-offending caretakers.